Tech Tip Tuesday – 10 Useful Google Calendar Settings, Labs & Extensions
- Meeting length – Change default length of an event time slot from 60 minutes to your preferred length
- Weather – Want to know the daily forecast by glancing at your calendar? Turn on “show weather based on my location”.
- Daily Agenda – Receive your daily agenda in a single email for one or all of your calendars.
Select a calendar from calendar settings -> select “Reminders & notifications” -> select “Daily agenda”.
- Event reminders – Turn off or change the default event reminder notification (pop-up or email) and time in advance for one or all of your calendars. You can set multiple reminders for each event.
- Embed a calendar in a website – Great for business intranets, clubs, schools, family sites.
Select the calendar from calendar settings -> select “Calendar details” -> select “Embed This Calendar”
- View other’s calendars on via Google Calendar (not in Settings, on main calendar view) –
Select “Browse Interesting Calendars” -> browse and add calendars from around the world, most professional and college sports teams schedules, lunar phases, sunrise & sunsets and more.
Select “Add by URL” to add a calendar where you have been provided code or a URL – school systems often use this method.
- Copy an event from one calendar to another – Great for sharing specific events from one calendar to another. Need to add the soccer team’s schedule to your own but only for events your family is attending? Share those games with your own calendar rather than retyping the event. Need to add a work event to the family calendar? Share that specific event to the family calendar.
- Event attachments – Attach a shared Google Document, Spreadsheet or Presentation to your event, or upload a file from your computer. Great to avoid searching for a document needed for an event.
- Boomerang Calendar –– Syncs with your Google Calendar but lives in your Gmail. It automatically highlights dates and times in the Gmail message with information about whether or not you can attend based on your Google Calendar. It allows you to add events directly into your Google Calendar from the email or enables you to open your calendar. Reduces switching from Gmail and Google Calendar to reply to emails.
- Google Calendar Toolbar – Adds an icon to your Chrome toolbar. Mouse over the icon to see your next upcoming event. Click the icon to see your upcoming agenda or add events to Google Calendar.